Comparison Study Between Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy versus Robotic Radical Prostatectomy in Patient with TUR-P History
DOI : 10.33371/ijoc.v13i4.658
Background: The number of men with benign prostate hyperplasia undergoing transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) with the subsequent development of prostate cancer has been increasing. This study aimed to compare the surgical, oncological, and functional outcomes of robotic and laparoscopic radical prostatectomy techniques in patients with the history of TURP.
Methods: Literature search of electronic databases was performed through Pubmed, Science Direct, SCOPUS, and CENTRAL databases. Cochrane Risk of Bias Tool was then employed to assess the risk of bias in each study. Grey literature was also searched from sources such as Cancer Care Ontario and conference abstracts. Critical appraisals of included studies were conducted using the Newcastle-Ottawa Scale.
Results: The searches located 1258 citations, but only 11 studies were included in the final selection. Most studies had a good methodological quality based on the Ottawa Scale. The mean age of samples was varied among each study from 61.8 to 70.8 years. The TURP history significantly affects biochemical recurrences (OR 2.29, 95% CI 1.14–4.59), intraoperative blood loss (MD 57 ml; 95% CI 6–108 m), prolonged operative duration (MD 20 minutes; 95% CI 3–37 minutes), and surgical complications (OR 2.54, 95% CI 1.79–3.60) following radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer. In the subgroup analysis, only prolonged operative duration and surgical complications were significant both in laparoscopic and robotic radical prostatectomy. There was no association between the TURP history and the positive surgical margin rate in total and subgroup analyses.
Conclusions: The previous TURP history affects the outcomes of patients who underwent radical prostatectomy, either laparoscopic or robotic.
- Mottet N, Bellmunt J, Briers E, Bolla M, Bourke L, Cornford P, et
- al. EAU - ESTRO - ESUR - SIOG Guidelines on Prostate Cancer
- [Internet]. European Association of Urology; 2017. Available from:
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, Eser S, Mathers C, Rebelo M, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. Int J Cancer. 2015;136(5).
- Gacci M, Simonato A, Lanciotti M, Ennas M, Varca V, Maffezzini M, et al. The impact of prior TURP on radical prostatectomy surgical margins: a multicenter analysis. Urologia internationalis. 2013;91(1):62-8.
- Burnett AL, Aus G, Canby-Hagino ED, Cookson MS, D’Amico AV, Dmochowski RR, et al. American Urological Association Prostate Cancer Guideline Update Panel Erectile function outcome reporting after clinically localized prostate cancer treatment. J Urol. 2007;178(2):597-601.
- Colombo R, Naspro R, Salonia A, Montorsi F, Raber M, Suardi N, et al. Radical prostatectomy after previous prostate surgery: clinical and functional outcomes. J Urol. 2006;176(6 Pt 1):2459-63; discussion 63.
- Gupta NP, Singh P, Nayyar R. Outcomes of robot‐assisted radical prostatectomy in men with previous transurethral resection of prostate. BJU international. 2011;108(9):1501-5.
- Jaffe J, Cathelineau X, Barret E, Vallancien G, Prapotnich D, Rozet F. Surgical outcomes in men undergoing laparoscopic radical prostatectomy after a transurethral resection of the prostate. European Urology Supplements. 2007;6(2):253.
- Mustafa M, Davis JW, Gorgel SN, Pisters L. Robotic or Open Radical Prostatectomy in Men with Previous Transurethral Resection of Prostate. Urology journal. 2017;14(1):2955-60.
- Stolzenburg J-U, Ho KMT, Do M, Rabenalt R, Dorschner W, Truss MC. Impact of previous surgery on endoscopic extraperitoneal radical prostatectomy. Urology. 2005;65(2):325-31.
- Bhayani SB, Pavlovich CP, Strup SE, Dahl DM, Landman J, Fabrizio MD, et al. Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: a multi-institutional study of conversion to open surgery. Urology. 2004;63(1):99-102.
- Eden CG, Richards AJ, Ooi J, Moon DA, Laczko I. Previous bladder outlet surgery does not affect medium-term outcomes after laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. BJU Int. 2007;99(2):399-402.
- Gacci M, Simonato A, Lanciotti M, Ennas M, Varca V, Maffezzini M, et al. The impact of prior TURP on radical prostatectomy surgical margins: a multicenter analysis. Urol Int. 2013;91(1):62-8.
- Hampton L, Nelson RA, Satterthwaite R, Wilson T, Crocitto L. Patients with prior TURP undergoing robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy have higher positive surgical margin rates. J Robot Surg. 2008;2(4):213-6.
- Hung CF, Yang CK, Ou YC. Robotic assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy following transurethral resection of the prostate: perioperative, oncologic and functional outcomes. Prostate Int. 2014;2(2):82-9.
- Jaffe J, Stakhovsky O, Cathelineau X, Barret E, Vallancien G, Rozet F. Surgical outcomes for men undergoing laparoscopic radical prostatectomy after transurethral resection of the prostate. J Urol. 2007;178(2):483-7; discussion 7.
- Leewansangtong S, Taweemonkongsap T. Is laparoscopic radical prostatectomy after transurethral prostatectomy appropriated? J Med Assoc Thai. 2006;89(8):1146-9.
- Martin AD, Desai PJ, Nunez RN, Martin GL, Andrews PE, Ferrigni RG, et al. Does a history of previous surgery or radiation to the prostate affect outcomes of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy? BJU Int. 2009;103(12):1696-8.
- Menard J, de la Taille A, Hoznek A, Allory Y, Vordos D, Yiou R, et al. Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy After Transurethral Resection of the Prostate: Surgical and Functional Outcomes. Urology. 2008;72(3):593-7.
- Tugcu V, Atar A, Sahin S, Kargi T, Gokhan Seker K, IlkerComez Y, et al. Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy After Previous Prostate Surgery. JSLS. 2015;19(4).
- Yang Y, Luo Y, Hou GL, Huang QX, Lu MH, Si-tu J, et al. Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy after Previous Transurethral Resection of the Prostate in Clinical T1a and T1b Prostate Cancer: A Matched-Pair Analysis. Urol J. 2015;12(3):2154-9.
- Gupta NP, Singh P, Nayyar R. Outcomes of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy in men with previous transurethral resection of prostate. BJU Int. 2011;108(9):1501-5.
- Zugor V, Labanaris AP, Porres D, Witt JH. Surgical, oncologic, and short-term functional outcomes in patients undergoing robot-assisted prostatectomy after previous transurethral resection of the prostate. Journal of endourology. 2012;26(5):515-9.
- Wagenhoffer R, Gruner M, Schymik J, Schachtner L, Neagoe L, Berg C, et al. Switching from Endoscopic Extraperitoneal Radical Prostatectomy to Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy: Comparing Outcomes and Complications. Urol Int. 2015;95(4):380-5.
- Varghese J, Kuruvilla PM, Mehta N, Rathore RS, Babu M, Bansal D, Pillai B, et al. Incidentally Detected Adenocarcinoma Prostate in Transurethral Resection of Prostate Specimen: a Hospital Based Study from India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 17(4), 2255-58.
- Otto B, Barbieri C, Lee R, Te AE, Kaplan SA, Robinson B, Chugtai B. Incidental Prostate Cancer in Transurethral Resection of the Prostate Specimens in the Modern Era. Advances in Urology, Adv Urol. 2014;2014:627290.
- Do M, Haefner T, Liatsikos E, Kallidonis P, Hicks J, Dietel A, Horn L, et al. Endoscopic Extraperitoneal Radical Prostatectomy AFter previous Transurethral Resection of Prostate: Oncologic and Functional Outcomes of 100 Cases. Urology. 2010;75:1348-1352.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.